Background

Monday, June 23, 2014

June 23, 2014

 "If you're here to talk to me about God, why was the first thing you asked me was if I wanted a card from your church?" That's what one woman asked us this week as we contacted on a public trail. That question hit me pretty hard. Yes, the point of asking "hey, can we give you a card from our church?" is usually just a way to start taking to someone, but her question made me reflect on what my priorities are when I'm talking to someone. Is it to get them to listen to our message? To convince them they need to come to our church? To help them feel God's love for them? 
     The Lord's organization, and the priesthood authority that accompanies it, is necessary for our eternal salvation, and I can't adequately express what a blessing they are. But that, like every other principle of the Gospel, is an appendage to the message of the suffering, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and the hope, understanding, love, and healing that are only available through His Atonement. If people don't feel and understand that as I talk to them, I don't think I'm really doing my job. The biggest thing I learned this week is the great importance of learning how to love people and be more focused on helping them come unto Christ--as we share the message of the Restoration.
       We taught a new investigator last week, and out of the blue he called us four or five days later and asked us if we stole his watch and gun. I thought he was joking at first, but then he asked again, and when I told him no, we hadn't robbed him, he said goodbye quickly and hung up. When we tried to confirm the next appointment we had with him he told us he couldn't make it and didn't want us to call him again. We were confused and a little sad when we saw that, especially because he seemed like someone that really needed the gospel. 
   We had two people commit to a baptismal goal this week! It's been awhile since we've had a date, so we were excited. Their names are Norma and Rudy if you want to keep them in your prayers.

Elder Gaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment