Background

Monday, October 21, 2013

Weekly Email with Pictures!

From this week forward, no more shoddy, 1 paragraph emails. I promise. 


Here's the miracle I was going to tell you about last week:
We've been having trouble getting investigators to church this transfer. Like, a lot. We've been working with some great part-member families and investigators, and they've all promised to come to church, but up until last week we still hadn't had a single person actually come. I finally decided last week that I had to exercise some more faith if we wanted anything to change, so I started a fast that those over which we had stewardship would come to church. We had a part member family, (the familia Hernandez), a couple (Roberto and Gabriela Lopez), and a young man named Tommy who seemed pretty solid, so I was especially praying for them. We had another part-member family I prayed for in a "Thy will be done" attitude, because I had only seen them come to sacrament meeting once to get their baby blessed, and we hadn't taught them that week. 
    When it came time for church to start and we were greeting everyone at the front, I learned once again that the Lord answer our prayers in His way, not in ours. Instead of the two families we were expecting and Tommy, the Mendoza family, a less-active sister, and a less-active couple showed up! The less-active family, Ruben, Nancy, and Maria Valle, was the biggest miracle. Ruben was baptized about 7 months ago, and he and his wife were called as ward missionaries.  we had only visited them once, and it didn't seem like things were going to change any time soon. But there they were! And they not only stayed for all three hours--they attended the coordination meeting for ward missionaries after, Sister Valle came out with us for a lesson three days later, and we had dinner with them last night. 
   For a long time I honestly didn't understand the principle of fasting or see it make much of a difference in my life, but the experiences I've had like this have showed me that it's precious commandment the Lord has given us in order to bless us. It's so important that we take fast-Sunday seriously, choose specific things to fast for, pray with faith, and trust in the promises of Heavenly Father.
    That's the most exciting thing that's happened recently. Last night Elder Sanchez and I knocked three doors and got three lessons, which almost never happens. It's also finally starting to cool down, which has been a huge relief. Other than that, it's just missionary life as usually--insanely busy, slightly stressful, and extremely rewarding when we do it right.
Missionary scripture of the week: "Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost." (Alma 36:24)
Love,
Elder Gaughan

1. Personal study!!

2. El Si Hay--the missionary-voted the Greatest Taqueria in Oak Cliff

3. There's not too much o see in Duncanville, but the sunsets are usually gorgeous


No comments:

Post a Comment