Background

Monday, February 23, 2015

District Building

Hellooo Gaughans (and anyone reading)!
I had a sinking feeling in my stomach yesterday when I realized that I'm entering the second-to-last month of mission. I wouldn't trade for anything the feelings I have had, the understanding of the Savior and the gospel I've received, and the people I've been able to know. I know that a relationship is healthy and inspired of God if you are the answer to each other's prayers, and in essence help "fix" each other through the Atonement. I don't know if that makes sense, but I've experienced that somewhat in my mission, and there are few more beautiful than when God blesses a group of people with that. 
     Something I haven't been very open about is that I've experienced waves of depression throughout my mission. I don't want to go very deeply into the reasons and what it was like, but I want to say that gratitude, bearing testimony, hearing or sharing heavenly truths, and service opportunities have helped me regain hope and continue forward. What has NOT helped is trying to ignore it and not acknowledging blessings. 
     It's been a great week overall though. We had two "district building" sessions this last week, which consists of several leaders in the mission going into a district for a day and half to do exchanges, play sports, have a delicious breakfast, and hold a District Council to discuss our mission's vision and how to better work with members of the Church. Elder Hill and I usually end up going to different districts. This week I was back in Oak Cliff where I started my mission, and in the Carrollton/Coppell area. It was a blast! It takes tons of organization and planning to put everything together, but it's worth it when they go well. 
      My companion is hilarious and absolutely incredible. The Elders Quorum President called him a "walking Preach My Gospel" the other day, which is pretty accurate. And he has the most diligent, upbeat attitude I've ever seen in a companion. The other day we tried to start up a conversation with someone and his response was to keep going because we "worship a false god and a false Jesus." Well I was a little upset about that as we rode away. Then I heard Elder Hill say "Elder!" and I looked over to see him with a huge grin on his face and in a hilarious/ridiculous pose on his bike that you really need to see to appreciate. He constantly builds up everyone around and just never stops! I hope I can be like him when I grow up.
Love you! 
Elder Gaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment