Background

Monday, April 27, 2015

One Last Testimony

"Behold say unto you, how great reason have we to rejoice; for could we have supposed when we started from the land of [San Diego] that God would have granted unto us such great blessings?

And now, I ask, what great blessings has he bestowed upon us? Can ye tell?" (Alma 26:1-2)

We'll need to get together to start recounting them in full, but I'll tell you a few from my perspective.

I have felt and seen the grace of God in your lives through your letters and stories, and have seen and heard more examples than I could begin to tell here in Texas.  We have been through trials and situations that have refined us, brought us closer to God, and deepened our commitment to love and serve Him. We have seen miracles as we have prayed and served. We have been preserved, protected, and prospered by the power of God. We have grown in our knowledge of the Gospel. My appreciation for you and the type of family we have has increased.

I have seen people transformed and blessed by Jesus Christ through their faith and repentance, and the ordinances of the Priesthood. My companions and I have been provided for and loved by more members, people we were teaching, and random strangers than I can possibly keep track of. I know that I have been and have seen others be guided and inspired of God. I have had run ins with old friends, made many new ones, and seen almost everything in the range of lifestyles available, which teaches invaluable lessons about life, attitudes, and family. We have been rejected, shouted at, and mocked, and have seen some of those same people turn around and receive the gospel. 

As I prayed and meditated on the blessings of these last two years the other night, I felt peace and gratitude. There have been so many people and experiences that have been such a blessing, it truly amazes me.

As my last electronic testimony to you as a full-time missionary, I would like to say a few things. I know that God is our loving Heavenly Father. I know that Jesus Christ, His Son, is the Savior of the world, and lives today. I know His Atonement can transform our lives as we trust in His promises and live the gospel. I know that the power of the Holy Ghost is real, and that it gives us knowledge, peace, guidance, and enhances our mortal capacities. I know that the power of God can be accessed through the Priesthood. I know that the living apostles and prophets that guide this church are men of God, as are both of the mission presidents I have had. I know that I and every other missionary for this church has been called by divine inspiration to teach the gospel to all the world. I know that reaching out to everyone around you and inviting them to do good things brings happiness and miracles.

Thank you. Thank you for your emails, packages, letters, examples, prayers, and for following Jesus Christ. 
Love,
Elder Gaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment