Background

Monday, July 29, 2013

Missionary 101: Writing Letters Home

I'm so sorry my letter was so short last week. I think I've finally learned how to prioritize my letter writing: Mission President, big one to you, family and friends. It's just hard to fit it all into one hour.
This was a great week. We knocked a LOT of doors (it's Elder Walker's go-to whenever we aren't teaching or have other plans), and we found some people I'm really excited about. One is Lucy de la Rosa. We knocked her door on Saturday. She let us in, and we taught her, her son, and her grandaughter the first lesson, and when we asked her what she thought about the Joseph Smith story, she look at us with tears in her eyes and said, "it's true. I know it's true." She was going to her church every week before and reading the Bible on a regular basis, so I think she could be a VERY strong convert if things work out. She didn't come to church yesterday, but we're visiting her this week to find out why.
Also, the last two weeks we've had nonmembers just show up to church, which was a huge blessing from the Lord because most of our investigators haven't been coming. One of the them is really cool story: the familia Vasquez. The husband has been inactive for years, and the wife and kids aren't members. We stopped visiting them pretty soon after I got here because we could only every occasionally find Bro. Vasquez at home. Then, out of nowhere, they came to church yesterday! And gets better: we visited them yesterday evening, and they told us that they're schedules changed and they're now available every afternoon. I was just blown away by how every worked out. It really taught me that we should never give up on anyone, and any person or situation can change. The field is ripe, whether we see it or not, and it's not ours to judge what people will or won't do.
  The food is delicious. DELICIOUS. I've gained 5-10 pounds since I got here. And the Texas heat really isn't as terrible as every says, or at least it hasn't been so far. 
Also, we taught one lesson to a family this week that believes in a different living day prophet, some guy in Peru I think. So that was interesting. And then we talked to a guy who had converted the back of his house into a church. That was an interesting street.

I hope you're all doing well, 
Elder Gaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment