Background

Monday, March 31, 2014

Bit by a bird!

Things are going quite well here in Seagoville. We keep finding less-active/part-member families that aren't on the ward list, which, for a missionary, is like finding a $100 bill. Last week we found Alma, who got baptized 4-5 years ago with her daughter, moved here, and stopped coming. With that family it's nothing short of a miracle that we now have the opportunity to help them come back. We talked to them for about 2 minutes almost 4 months ago as they were getting in their car, but didn't think too much of it when the phone number they gave us didn't work. But we decided to stop by this last week, happened to catch her at home, and learned her story. 
    So, about the bird. We visited an investigator this week that has a thing for exotic birds, and has three at her house. We normally meet with her outside right next to the cages, and this particular occasion she left us to get something on the side of the house. I got a little bored as we waited, so I went over to the birds and tried to pet one of them. I stuck my finger into the cage and started caressing his head, and then the bird started nibbling on my finger. my next thought was, "aw, that's cute... wow, he's actually got pretty firm grip. I hope he doesn't bi- GAHH!!" Needless to say I learned my lesson. 
    Things are good though, and Elder Nebeker and I are getting along great. Something I've been thinking about recently are thoughts--where we are mentally on a moment to moment basis. As a missionary that's a large part of what makes the difference between being fully consecrated to the Lord and simply going through the motions. Always remembering Christ is, after all, a part of our baptismal covenant, so it deserves a little consideration. A scripture that I love about this is Mosiah 5:12-13:

I say unto you, I would that ye should remember to retain the name [of Christ] written always in your hearts, that ye are not found on the left hand of God, but that ye hear and know the voice by which ye shall be called, and also, the name by which he shall call you.
    For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?
How often do we reflect upon the Savior throughout the week? How much time do we spend thinking about others needs as opposed to our own? Are we constantly looking for opportunities to bless, lift, and do good? 
   This is the work of Jesus Christ. Anyone who has doubts about that can read the Book of Mormon and pray to know if it is true, and by the power of the Holy Ghost they will know the truth.
Love,
Elder Gaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment